The history of water as the most frequent agent of erosion can be summarized in 3 lines
- Rain falls, thus separating the weak soil particles caused by mining, agriculture, construction, etc.
- These particles, which are now called sediments, are carried away by the flow of water formed by the rain.
- Finally they reach the closest stream of water, create wells, increase the turbidity of nearby water sources, and create sludge that hinders the mobilization of trucks.
I will briefly explain which are the most common types of erosion caused by water
- Sheet Erosion: this is due to the impact of raindrops on the ground as we explained in previous lines, and it is the most common type of erosion. In heavy rain, the droplets can lift soil particles up to half a meter, and even move it horizontally by a meter and a half (4 or 5 feet).
4,000 square meters of surface exposed to heavy rain can shed more than 100 tons of material
The soil hardens, forming a crust until it is compacted, which allows creating a channel for the flow of water and of course, making the ideal means of transport for the sediments until they are deposited “downstream”.
- Gully/Rill Erosion: They are very similar types of erosion, changing only in their magnitude, for the furrows, as the word indicates, it refers to small well-defined channels through which the flow of water with sediments already formed by sheet erosion passes.
Being the next step on the scale of gravity, the Gully erosion since they are considered a greater amount of soil loss and quality of the relief. To give you an idea of the size of these trenches, they can exceed the average size of an adult human being (they reach 75 feet in some cases).
As you can see, water can become the trigger for a major erosion problem on your farm, mine or construction project if proper control is not carried out. It is important not to underestimate sheet erosion since it is the fastest and stealthiest, in addition to being the primary route for the other two forms of erosion.
Of course, there are other factors that can contribute to the water having greater erosive power, such as a non-compacted, fine-textured or granular soil. A more cohesive soil has fewer tendencies to erode.
Now, it is necessary to fight this problem before having water streams and new almost navigable water channels in your project. In general, it can be solved with practices that reduce the ability of soil to erode.
To control erosion you need to do the following:
- Reduce the effects of the wind on weak soil layers
- Manipulation of slopes and lengths to reduce the speed of water flows
- Improve soil conditions to stop water.
- Place intercepts and diversions on slopes to direct the flow of water to places that are much more manageable that do not reach critical areas.
This stage includes the use of vegetation to more effectively control the erosion process, using different types of plants, such as grass, to counteract the effects of water and wind.
However, there are chemical methods for erosion control that can include soil stabilization with products that comply with environmental regulations to be friendly to the environment and allow the use of the land for future generations.
Eco Soil Group can help you control erosion with our high-performing erosion control agent esoliTSS®. It allows you to create a durable waterproof surface layer that prevents soil erosion for months even years. This will also allow you to save money in your project.
esoliTSS® will allows you to easily, with few equipment and with an application that requires little maintenance after years, to avoid sedimentation in nearby streams, the creation of mud pits, and even improve vehicular traffic in your mine or construction.
If you need help with your erosion control project, This is what you need to do
- Schedule your FREE, No-Obligation Technical Consultation
Here, you will tell one of our engineers what you want to accomplish in your erosion control project
- Get Your Customized Technical Plan
Then, based on what you tell us, we will create a customized plan and solution specifically for you…FREE
- Test our products
Before any big commitment on your part, test a small sample of our products to assess its effectiveness (100% Quality Guaranteed)
- Finally, watch your project succeed
To schedule your FREE Technical Consultation, CLICK HERE
Bear in mind there is NO OBLIGATION for you to take up any of our amazing products or services.